Following is a letter by a Father to his son from a renowned Hong Kong TV broadcaster/Child Psychologist. The words are actually applicable to all of Children, young or old, parents or us. This applies to daughters too. All parents can use this in their teachings to their children.
Dear son ,
I am writing this to you because of three reasons
1. Life, fortune and mishaps are unpredictable; nobody knows how long
he lives. Some words are better said early.
2. I am your father, and if I do not tell you these, no one else will.
3. What are written are my own personal bitter experiences that perhaps?
could save you unnecessary heartache.
Remember the following as you go through life:
1. Do not bear grudge towards those who are not good to you. No one
has the responsibility of treating you well, except your mother and me.
To those who are good to you, you have to treasure it and be thankful,
in addition, you have to be cautious, because, everyone has a motive for
every move. When a person is good to you, it does not mean he really
likes you. You have to be careful; do not hastily regard him as a real friend.
2. No one is indispensable, nothing in the world that you must
possess. Once you understand this idea, it would be easier for you to
go through life when people around you do not want you anymore, or when
you lose what/who you love most.
3. Life is short. When you waste your life today, tomorrow you would
find that life is leaving you. The earlier you treasure your life, the
better, you enjoy life.
4. Love is but a transient feeling, and this feeling would fade with
time and with one’s mood. If your so-called loved one leaves you, be
patient, time will wash away your aches and sadness. Don’t over
exaggerate the beauty and sweetness of love, and do not over exaggerate
the sadness of falling out of love.
5. A lot of successful people did not receive a good education, that
does not mean that you can be successful by not studying hard!
Whatever knowledge you gain is your weapon in life. One can go from
rags to riches, but one has to start from some rags!
6. I do not expect you to financially support me when I am old, neither
would I financially support your whole life? My responsibility as a
supporter ends when you are grown up. After that, you decide whether
you want to travel in a public transport or in your limousine, whether
rich or poor.
7. You honor your words, but do not expect others to be so. You can be
good to people, but do not expect people to be good to you. If you
do not understand this; you would end up with unnecessary troubles.
8. I have bought lotteries for umpteen years, but I never strike any
prize. That shows if you want to be rich, you have to work hard! There
is no free lunch!
9. No matter how much time I have with you, let’s treasure the time we
have together. We do not know if we would meet again in our next life.